Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Has anyone tried the SQ3R Reading Method. Is it successful? I have too much readings please advise ... Thanks?

I am a doctoral student who get too many technical papers to read. It is very time consuming and I feel sometimes that I have to spend my leisure time (or most of it) just to catch up with the readings. What makes it worse is that the technical papers are advanced and they are high-level which makes them pretty hard-to-understand for a person from outside the field.





Any recommendations on how I can absorb the information quickly?


Thanks


PhD studentHas anyone tried the SQ3R Reading Method. Is it successful? I have too much readings please advise ... Thanks?
SQ3R is mainly for texts not usually for dissertations or journal articles.





I suppose it could work but I have found that the best bet is to sit with a dictionary and read the paper and rewrite it in my own words. It is time consuming but SQ3R requires reading the text four times. My way is usually about 2 or 3 times.





My first article took 3 days before I could accurately describe the experiment (Freshman year) and now it takes about an hour or two depending on the complexity of the experiment. (It also helps that I started writing like they write and that all the articles are along the same subject.) I think that the more papers you read, the more familiar you will be with the jargon.





Good luck.Has anyone tried the SQ3R Reading Method. Is it successful? I have too much readings please advise ... Thanks?
My old, old school does it. Its an elementary school, hahaha, I no longer remember what SQ3R means..

No comments:

Post a Comment