Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Should I advise the school newspaper?

I am a third year teacher. I have been teaching 60% the entire time I've been teaching. One of my colleauges asked me if I'd take the school newspaper next year. I said yes without giving it much thought, so I've already been assigned the advisorship. The administration is finally making me 100%!However, I'm starting to think that it's not such a good idea to advise the school paper anymore. The editor isn't replying to my emails, I will be busy in piloting a reading program for four out of the five periods I am teaching, I have two children at home, and I'm just not sure I want to dedicate so much time and energy into something that will likely just piss people off (freedom of expression and all that....).





Conversely, I don't want to go back on my word, seem wishy-washy, or seem unappreciative.





What do you think I should do?Should I advise the school newspaper?
Take on the responsibility for one year. Being 100% outweighs your other concerns, in my opinion. Just promise yourself that you won't work on it at home. Once in school and underway, the paper should ';take off'; on its own. Don't take the responsibility personally, delegate and make sure your first day sets the tone for high expectations and work ethics. Perhaps you can dismiss students from the paper staff who do not perform. Be positive about the new opportunity. Ask for assistance if needed. It could be a lot of fun.Should I advise the school newspaper?
I think you should take a different approach to the word ';adviser.'; You're not there to run the paper, you're there to advise the students who should be running the paper. You make sure they don't put stupid stuff in the paper, and you make sure they do their job in time for the deadlines. Delegation will help ease any problems you may have as the adviser. Don't get me wrong, it's a relatively big task, but if you remember that you're there to guide the students rather than tell them what to do, it won't be as bad as you think. Best wishes!
It see to me like you have a lot on your plate.





I say work and family come before those extra activities. I would tell the yearbook editor that work and home comes first, and that if things get less hectic, may consider taking it. I am sure he or she will understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment