Sunday, August 22, 2010

Want to put a couple flowering Small schrubbs in fron of my house facing east . advise?

The plants gets morning sune up tp noon . I live in MichiganWant to put a couple flowering Small schrubbs in fron of my house facing east . advise?
Azaleas. Mine flourish in sun and shade. The ones I put out front bloom a gorgeous pink, but only in the spring. I have another one in the back that flowers only in the fall. My father in law bought some that flower in the spring, then again in the fall. They come in a variety of colors, and they don't leave a big mess like some flowering shrubs. Now of course I live in coastal SC, but ask a reliable nursery which varieties are suited to your area. I did see that some hybrid varieties of rhododendron can survive below freezing temps.Want to put a couple flowering Small schrubbs in fron of my house facing east . advise?
Hi, I did just that,last year. Boy did I learn a lesson. I didn't ask the right questions at the nursery,because they now have to be removed,or they are already dead. Ask how tolerant they are to disease,and pests. I never even thought to ask that ,and now some are deader than a doorknob. Also ask ,if they flower, do they leave seedpods on the bush. I have one, that grows these big long bean type pods all over it. It's ugly. And there are a gazillion of them. They turn black and look hideous! Yes while the bush is in flower, it is beautiful,but the pods situation out weighs the beauty of them by far. And the next thing to ask is, How big do they actually get? Another of our carefully thought out decisions, is so big,it has to be taken out! It's grown so big,it covers over half of the public sidewalk,and can easily be tripped over by a passerby. I think I have learnt a little lesson here. Don't rely on the tags that are put on the plant at the nursery. They can be switched very easily. And as for the salesperson,they just want to make the sale,or they really don't know what they claim too. Good luck, I hope your choices are better than mine were.
Sarcococca confusa, dark evergreen leaves, very small but stunningly fragrant flowers in winter.





Exochorda x macrantha 'The Bride' weeping habit, beautiful white flowers in late spring.





There are lots of different Skimmias (require acid soil) or Spireas that would be suitable.





Viburnum davidii is lovely it not only has flowers but produces berries as well.





Try this link and put in your growing conditions to get a list of suitable plants.


http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantselector/d鈥?/a>
Rhododendrons and Azaleas would look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment