Sunday, August 22, 2010

My 12 year old son told me tonight he wants to kill himself, advise?

My son was diagnosed with depression and adhd after his dad/ my husband was killed in Iraq. But my son came up to me crying and told me he was having some bad thoughts and that he was feeling worthless and he wanted to join his dad. I comforted him and everything. And now he is on the couch asleep but i don't know what to do he is scarring me so bad. He see's a therapist and a psychiatrist. Advise?My 12 year old son told me tonight he wants to kill himself, advise?
Let me start by saying I am sorry about your husband. It sounds trite, to say thanks for what he did so we can be free, but I do sincerely mean it with all my heart. If you would like to read my profile and we could chat I would be honored to help you in any way I can. I am a counselor and a caring woman.


As far as your son, if you can I would call a Hot line number tonight. One good resource available in most U.S, towns, is United Way hot line that can give you other numbers to call. If you can call his psychiatrist tonight (most have a contact number for emergencies) I would do that. Or call his therapist on the hot line. If you feel comfortable for the night I would for sure place the call first thing in the morning. I know you may already know this, but did you son, express any type of plan to hurt himself? If he expressed any plan, no matter how vague, you need to call tonight. Again I live in the St Louis area and my email is listed and would be glad to chat to you tonight if you just need someone to listen for a while. God Bless ReggieMy 12 year old son told me tonight he wants to kill himself, advise?
I'm sure his therapist has an emergency number right? If they do call them up right now get them on the phone and see what the next step is. If not get him up off the couch and take him to the hospital so he can get immediate help!!! Suicidal thoughts aren't anything to be taken lightly, and I know you're scared hun, and I'm sure if it were my child I would be too. Take him to the ER explain that your son is having these thoughts and an on call psychologist will assist you with the rest. Get him help hun, and I assure you everything will be okay. I do advise you don't tell him that you're taking him to the hospital so he doens't get more depressed or try to do anything to harm himself. Good Luck and I hope he feels better soon, as well as you.
I would take his confession to you very seriously. Most people who commit suicide tell someone before they act. Make sure to let his therapist and psychiatrist know. I would recommend that you talk to him about his worries and thoughts tomorrow when he wakes up. I'm sure it would give him great comfort to have an open conversation with an obviously caring mother. The therapist and psychiatrist should be able to create a safety plan with your son. I'm so sorry to hear about your husband.
im sorry about the passing of your husband and your sons condition.





im sure on top of the normal angst of being that age, he's grieving over the loss of your husband. im sure your already doing this, buh with the help of his therapist and psychiatrist, find a way for him to cope with this loss. keep telling him the role he plays in your life and how much you love him. keep talking to him and trying to get more information out.





you can go to google and type in ';how to deal with suicidal teens'; and youll find a wealth of information.





sorry if this doesnt help. feel free to email me anytime.
Well as a male teenager haha...I can tell you that having SOME suicidal thoughts is normal....I think everyone has haven't they? I know I have. Now I'm not going to pretend to have a clue as to what it feels like to lose a dad. But if you want advice...or are wondering what he might be thinking.... from someone who is closer to his age.... feel free to email me. You probably won't do that though...I hope even suggesting it isn't offensive :S.





Other than that offer I would say....talk to his therapist or whatever.....someone needs to be there for him 24/7
um that is rough dude, make him feel like he is doing everything he can. that he's not worthless and that you need him there. tell him that you want him and need him to be around. go out and do something fun with him. good luck and most kids go through depression it will pass don't worry!
Absolutely. I agree. You must contact a therapist, and until your appointment, you might want to monitor him and try to tap into what exactly is causing these wants on his end. May God bless both you and your family, and may he see you and your son through these hard times.
Whatever you do, do NOT take Anna's advice. Tell him that his time will come when it is meant to. You should not try and make it come sooner. Tell him his Dad is still with him, but we can't see him.





--Suicide is a permanent solution to temporary problem.--
i'm so sorry to hear of your situation. get him to a mental hospital. that comment has to be taken seriously. and get a church involved as well. nothing heals like the power of prayer. i wish you and yours the best!
Call his psychiatrist tonight. There has to be someone on call 24-7. Talk to him or her and take their advice.
Pray first








call the psychiatrist








then keep praying
hi,first off, i am sorry about your loss, and about your son, talk to him about seeing a psychiatrist, he should talk to somebody about whats happening, losing his father has surely caused him to feel this way, talking about it should help him come to terms with the loss. also, i suggest keeping an eye on your son, not leaving him alone too long, but give him his freedoms, let him go out with friends, plan things to do with him, going out to movies, swimming, fishing even if you would want to and he likes to, though it may remind him of his father (not sure if it would, but just saying) if your son believes in things like this, tell him that his father is watching him, trying to make sure that he is safe, maybe you could set aside a night each week or month that you and your son do something special, like a family night, movies, dinner at a restaurant, maybe take him to a theme park once or twice during the summer, just don't let him sit around and sulk, but i would definatly suggest having him talk to somebody, best wishes to the both of you





(sorry the answer is so disjointed and all over the place)

No comments:

Post a Comment