Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Can you advise me on a family problem I am having?

My mom and my step-father not going well. We are Chinese, my step-father are American, born in china. They were married five years, and last year August, we were come to US. We have ten year green card. Now we lived together.


My step-father maybe want sues us. So, if a divorce would force my mom and me to leave the country or not?Can you advise me on a family problem I am having?
Ni hao. Huan-ying Meiguo.





Yes, a divorce could well impact your residency here. One of my friends, who is from Beijing, put off divorcing her Americna husband until she got her US citizenchip, so she could stay.





Your mother should contact her own attorney as soon as possible for a full explanation of her rights.





If you live in Illinois and need assistance, or just want general advice on getting a lawyer, feel free to email me.





Zai jian.Can you advise me on a family problem I am having?
That depends if your visas that were issued to you and your mother were under his initial visa. I believe if you have a green card here and your mother has been married to him for 5 years then you get to stay.
I would try to support your mom and give her some advice maybe they could take marrage counseiling!!!!!! good luck!
You should seek the advise of an immigration attorney!
You have a green card good for 10 years, a divorce will NOT force you out of the country. If you want to stay here permanently, apply for citizenship now. I am assuming you mean divorce when you say sue. Your step father cannot sue your mom( this means something different than divorce. To ';sue'; someone is what we do when someone has wronged someone else, and the person wronged is seeking damages, usually money. He can divorce her, but he can't sue her)
you need to contact the family court in your location, immigration, or a lawyer and ask what your options are.
I don't know a lot about this, but I think if you have a ten year green card, then you can stay for ten years. Is there some paperwork with your green card? Look into the details and find out if there are any stipulations attached, like in the event of a divorce will the green card be canceled?
If I'm reading this correctly - you wouldn't lose the green card, but you would need to either apply for citizen ship to stay or you could probably stay for the duration of the green card (9 more years). You may want to check with an immigration attorney/paralegal to verify it.

No comments:

Post a Comment