Thursday, July 29, 2010

Chaste Tree, I want to plant one for privacy but I need advise ???

I only live on a city lot, but I want some privacy and we have very strict rules about fences. So I want to plant a couple of chaste trees , one in front and in back. I know they can grow huge, but what if I prune them back to say 20 ft x 10 ft. can I do that ?Chaste Tree, I want to plant one for privacy but I need advise ???
Vitex agnus-castus only grows 8 to10'. Vitex negundo grows 10 to 15', but are often frozen to the ground in the North. they come back 3 to 5' a season. 20' at an arboretum is max under optimal conditions. so go ahead!Chaste Tree, I want to plant one for privacy but I need advise ???
First of all, planting for trees for privacy is a smart idea. However, I think that you should re-think your choice.





It is NEVER a good idea to plant a large tree and try to trim/train it to a smaller size. First of all, you will be FIGHTING this tree for the rest of your life!!! And I bet on the TREE to win!! You would have to FAITHFULLY trim this tree at the appropriate time each year. If you don't, it will grow larger than you want. Cutting it back will leave an UGLY tree!!





So, you need to consult a nursery (not Home Depot) about trees that will STAY the size that you want and that will thrive in your environment. Since you don't give any clues to your location, it is hard to recommend specific plants!!





Good Luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment