Thursday, July 29, 2010

Has anyone got any advise for me for writing?

Im fifteen years old and i love to write, and i was wondering if anyone had any advise for me on it. I would love to write books, but i know i could improve my technique and the way i write. I like to read too and i know that has helped me a lot, is there anyone out there who has some good advise for someone like me? thanks!Has anyone got any advise for me for writing?
Well I'm writing a book right now. I found it's easier to write about someone like you. I keep seeing parts off me in my characters, but I'm never completely one of them.


Another thing is the age. Write about someone your age, you now what that person would think.


Write about a topic you like. Right now I'm into adventer, and it is so fun to write.


I found that's it's harder to write about animals since I don't know what they're thinking.


Umm, have fun. Don't worry if you don't know how it's going to end. Half the stories I've written I didn't know the ending till later. The one I'm writting now is only one fourth of the way through, and I only know little parts of what's going to happen.





I hope I helped.Has anyone got any advise for me for writing?
A lot of good advice has been given here. I'd like to emphasize the importance of what KK said. When writing, always keep your own interests and feelings at a higher priority than some popular trend or general belief. Dare to be original and go against the common or mundane. Don't tone things down or change what you came up with just because someone might take a bash at you for it.





I'd also like to add that it will help if you remember why you are writing. There are a lot of people who just want recognition that they haven't earned, and although they claim to want constructive criticism, they really just want to have their written stuff become ';popular';.





Do not be discouraged if you find a lack of support online (that is, if you choose to look for critique there). Your surest and safest way of getting help would be to have someone you trust read your writing. Perhaps you know of a friend or teacher or relative who can help you. Feel too awkward to show these people the product of your creative juices? Well there are sites (someone else has mentioned a few) where you can get constructive criticism from other aspiring writers. But be careful where you go. Fictionpress, for instance, tends to have a lot of ';writing for the wrong reason'; people that I mentioned.





I try to tell myself to practice hard (by writing as much as I can time-wise), read frequently, and keep the mind flowing.
When you submit to a publisher, they ask for an outline. Since you're writing fiction, at least write a series of scenes (no dialogue) so the publisher will have an idea what the story is about without reading the whole thing. They just won't read unsolicited manuscripts. Get a book called Writer's Market. They have an online version as well. It will tell you what different publisher's are looking for, what format they expect, and how much they pay. It reads like a phone book, so expect to spend considerable time at it.
First of all, never post your story on Y!A. Use writer's cafe or worthyofpublishing.com. If you want people to read it, you could always post a question with a link to your book. Posting it on Y!A makes it possible for people to steal your book, since you probably haven't copywrited it yet.





Next, write about something that you really like. I'm obsessed with pirates and the Crusades, but not really all that interested in fairy tales and witchcraft. So I write about what interests me.





Write every day. It keeps the flow of your book going. Even if you're just going to write a paragraph or even just edit what you've already written, it helps.





Plan ahead. Make sure you know the general idea of what's going to happen in your book, who's going to do what shocking thing, who's going to have a relationship with who? However, on the same note, don't plan too many details. After all, as Robert Frost said, ';No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No surprise in the writer, no surprise in the reader.'; As you write, you may suddenly have a great idea that surprises even you. If you choose to use it, it'll be great for the reader. Just be critical of your own ideas.





Don't spend too much time on the characters' appearance, unless you're targeting anyone under thirteen years old. Older readers usually care more about what the characters do than what they look like, unless of course you're doing a romance book. Just briefly describing them will do, otherwise.





Have fun! Don't make it a chore. Writing is awesome, keep it fun for you!
Although I argued incessantly with BeautyBlitz yesterday, I encourage you to consider her advice. I am one of those who can be cruel/harsh and it isn't right or fair. However I just tend to get a little miffed by starry-eyed amateurs who only want to be coddled and don't care to listen when they're being told their writing needs work.





I think I need to tone down my own approach and lose my cynicism and jaded mindset. Times are tough so getting new work out has made me a tad edgy and probably more nasty than I normally am. For that, I am sorry.





Like Beauty said -- Just write. Practice every day. Be open-minded and open to constructive criticism. Make writing a priority even if your day is already hectic. Write for you first and your readers second. As long as the passion is there, you should do just fine.





Best of luck to you.
The best advice...never ask people on Yahoo Answers or the internet in general to look at your writing. Most of the people don't care to be honest or are just plain cruel. Then there is the risk of your ideas being stolen.





Second, keep writing no matter what.





Third...for some fantastic tips go to





http://www.writersdigest.com





Happy Writing.





EDIT @ KK Thank you and I agree with what you said about starry-eyed amateurs.
Reading and writing help, get honest people the read your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment